Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I cried...

So the time has come...ECI 2008 has officially come to a close...we just returned from our final retreat. I managed to keep my emotions in check surprisingly well! Last week on Thursday, our final field day, there was plentiful joy and excitement...dancing and music in the parking lot, such a great feeling :) But then after our final circle up back at EarthCorps this afternoon, I got pretty sad. I definitely cried driving away....Still too emotional to write much about it, but I thought I'd pull some quotes for you from my blog entries during the very FIRST week I spent with EarthCorps...I was so excited then, and my feelings really haven't changed:

"Oh my goodness, I am so excited!! The past few weeks had been kind of strange, because I was in this new place, with nothing really to do....but after my first day of work I am reminded of exactly why I am here!! And I’m even more thrilled than I was before about this coming year...."

"I could cry...I’m that happy...I’m hoping this isn’t just a dream I’ve been living the past few weeks...."

"So when you add their mission, with their programs, the goal is to produce strong communities, healthy habitats, and young leaders. That’s the little presentation we got! And as much as I’ve been hearing and reading these words for the past few months, I’m really starting to see and understand what an incredibly awesome thing I get to become part of...."

"Oh, I could go on and on....the more I learn about these new concepts of restoration, the more addicting it becomes! Knowing we CAN make the changes needed to keep our world sustainable, one piece of land at a time. I did not realize, but the largest problem right now is actually non-native invasive plants. So much to learn....AGH! What fun :)"

"Work is still amazing! I love my crew, and my crew leaders. And the work is fun, for so many reasons. I love using my hands, and working hard, as well as learning about environmental problems, and what we’re doing to correct them best we can..."

"Ahhhhhhh. It’s such hard work, but I love it! As much as it hurts :) My hands are caked in mud from the minute work starts, and it’s a constant struggle to stay the right temperature.....going from freezing in the mornings, to HOT in the afternoons, then cold again...."


Well, you get the idea :) My feelings have not changed, 10.5 months later. It's been amazing....and I refuse to accept that it's over, plain and simple...

1 comment:

Gray Photography - Zach and Jody - Nashville Wedding Photography said...

awww... so sad your time is over but SO glad we got to see you!!!! It was a blast, dear friend. (ha ha love the new header by the way)